The numerical assessment of the transport of conservative / non-conservative tracers represents a key component in the environmental assessment of coastal developments. RPS MetOcean in-house modelling capability includes the transport, advection and diffusion of tracers including temperature, salinity as well as cohesive and non-cohesive sediments.
RPS MetOcean regularly apply the output from a variety of hydrodyjnamic models to transport tracers in the ocean. The methodology has broad reaching applications including.
- Near field plume dispersion from ocean outfalls
- Sedimentation / dredging operations.
- Regional ocean modelling
- Water quality
- Harbour flushing studies
- Oil spill fate modelling.
The suite of dispersion models available for use include:
- EFDC - 3D transport of temp/salinity/sediments/water quality.
- POL3DD - cohesive / non-cohesive sediments/temp/salinity.
- 2DBEACH - nearshore surfzone sediment transport.
- Numerical Modelling Brochure
Below please find example animations of modelled output.
EFDC - Animation of cooling water plume under tidal forcing at Tassie Shoal
Animation of dredge spoil plume concentrations under tidal forcing.